Korey H. Pelton
To assist businesses in becoming more successful using my thirteen years of computing software, hardware, and leadership experience.
IT Systems Programmer, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID. November 2009–Present.
- Administrate Oracle Solaris, RedHat Enterprise Linux, Oracle Linux, Ubuntu, HP-UX, and Microsoft Windows Server operating systems. This includes planning and installing operating systems, configuring services and networking, maintaining an alpha/test/production patch cycle, and fulfilling system requirements while upholding security standards.
- Assist with configuring Oracle iPlanet Web Server, Apache HTTP server, Apache Tomcat, Postfix email server, GNU Mailman mailing list server, CUPS print server, Samba with LDAP, Nagios system monitoring, and Ellucian Luminis Platform.
- Maintain the BMC Footprints enterprise service desk web application. I installed, updated, and migrated the web application which also involved importing, exporting, and modifying Oracle database data using SQL*Plus and other Oracle command line tools.
- Program in C, Perl, PHP, UNIX shell script, and SQL.
- Manage file system and database backups using the CommVault Simpana data protection software suite, Spectra Logic tape libraries, and EMC Data Domain deduplication storage arrays.
- Monitor, analyze, and troubleshoot physical server hardware and virtual systems running on VMWare.
- Write technical documentation for programs, procedures, and policies.
- Identify and troubleshoot networking and firewall requirements for system services, and communicate these requirements to the networking department.
- Work on projects with fellow staff members, vendor sales departments, vendor support departments, and coordinate with departmental customers to deliver systems on time and according to specifications.
- Provide systems administration support to departmental owners of Information Technology Services -managed systems.
- Create and modify ext2/3/4 and LVM file systems and maintain quotas on UFS and ZFS file systems.
- Convert password change programs from C and shell scripts to Perl for simultaneous compatibility with both Sun Java System Directory Server and Novell eDirectory LDAP servers, as well as for future program maintainability.
- Improve Information Technology Services department asset tracking using a PHP and MySQL web application that I designed and wrote.
- Successfully implemented disk mirroring (RAID 1) on Linux using the mdadm utility in my spare time at home.
- Attended Cisco UCS training.
Founder/Owner, Peltonweb.com, Pocatello, ID. April 2003–Present.
- Operate the Peltonweb.com web application services company.
- Program in Perl, PHP, UNIX shell script, and SQL.
- Provide customer support for services sold.
- Current clientele include Bannock Transportation Planning Organization and Bonneville Metropolitan Planning Organization.
IT Specialist/Programmer, VTCU, Pocatello, ID. October 2007–October 2009.
- Manage PC, networking, and telecommunications technicians and assign projects as appropriate to company growth and change.
- Write Visual Basic 6 programs and SQL to automate manufacturing and accounting processes, and integrate these programs with a legacy database running on UNIX.
- Administrate a corporate-wide IBM AIX system, IBM UniVerse database, Microsoft SQL server, Microsoft Exchange email server, Microsoft Active Directory, VMWare, and Citrix Presentation Server.
- Maintain hardware on Dell PowerEdge servers.
- Manage and perform user data backups with Symantec Backup Exec.
- Program and maintain telephone and voice-mail systems.
- Train PC technicians.
- Write and enforce corporate computer user policies.
- Handle power failures and Internet connection outages in a responsive and orderly manner, coordinate with service providers and vendors, and keep the corporate management and users updated and informed.
- Travel to corporate headquarters in Virginia to collaborate on major projects.
- Troubleshoot PC, network, and server issues.
Software Support Analyst, Dealership Management Systems, Pocatello, ID. April 2003–October 2007.
- Automotive dealership customer support for the DMS software system, which includes accounting, parts inventory, service, finance, and insurance.
- IBM AIX, Linux, Windows, network, printing (both UNIX System V and Windows), web server, email, and database administration.
- Web programming, database design, and data processing. I designed and created a server-central business information system for editing and searching documentation, and transformed hundreds of documentation files in Microsoft Word format into HTML and PDF using UNIX programs and Perl programming.
- Administrate Borland Interbase/Firebird databases.
- Build and maintain server and PC hardware.
Web Programmer, Belnap Corporation, Idaho Falls, ID. September 2001–April 2003.
- Design, create, and maintain multiple web sites and web applications using HTML, CSS, Perl and SQL.
- Process data in various formats using Perl programs for use in databases.
- Design and integrate MySQL databases with web applications.
- Provide customer support and advice on implementing business web sites.
Programming and Internet Technology Instructor, Continuing Education and Special Programs, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID. September 2002–December 2002.
- Teach HTML, CSS, Perl, SQL, and Visual Basic 6.
Certified Internet Webmaster (CIW) Instructor, Continuing Education and Special Programs, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID. September 2001–December 2001.
- Teach Internet technologies, network infrastructure, e-business, and web authoring.
Web Developer, College of Technology, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID. January 2001–September 2001.
Computer Technician, Microcomputer Support, College of Technology, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID. January 2000–August 2000.
- Build, repair, and perform troubleshooting on computers throughout the campus, and maintain software and hardware for multiple platforms.
Associate of Applied Science Degree in Electronic Systems Technology, College of Technology, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID. Graduated May 2001.
Certificate in Laser Electro/Optics Technology, College of Technology, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID. Completed in May 2001.
Certified Internet Webmaster (CIW) Professional. Completed in August 2001.
Completed a Financial Accounting and Bookkeeping Course sponsored by Dealership Management Systems in August 2005.